- hear me provide a little ethnomusicological perspective on reggaeton for the BBC's "the world" program. (audio here) bonus: they even throw in my rendition of "boom-ch-boom-chick" (which jon pareles, in an otherwise fine note about reggaeton, renders a bit more awkwardly). sidenote: i guess it's ok to say "pussy" on the radio as long as it's in spanish or patois.
- need visuals for the radio piece?: catch some perreo-action over at reggaetonation.
- kiskeyAcity, a new caribbeanist blog, offers up a fascinating interview with hawaii-based jamaican linguist and filmmaker, esther "figgy" figueroa.
- in other blog-finds, check out the fierce and funny bionic octopus (of lenin's tomb fame), esp. her take on the recent disengagement.
- kanye?: fine by me. (and be sure to read this well-composed, glowing review of the new album alongside oliver's more measured appraisal.)
- some hardcore audio research going down over at defchild.
- as usual, interesting audio archives--this time, digitized cylinders--over at pace's place.
- up-to-the-minute info (and disturbing video) about the military-style breakup of that party in utah everyone's talking about--and for good reason: what is this? eastern europe?
- cambridge carnival this sunday. which flag should i wave? judging by last year's offerings, i'll have plenty of choices.
- holy shit, dude!: south park studio.
nah give me none of that ray-ray, mmmkaaaay?